Ripples in cirrocumulous clouds resemble fish scales, which is why this view is sometimes called a “mackerel sky”. These clouds develop when water vapor undergoes deposition and forms ice crystals where little water vapor is present. An old saying goes, “Mackerel sky, mackerel sky, dry turns wet and wet turns dry.”
Golden Isles Weather
- View of the partial Snow Moon eclipse from St. Simons Island, GA
- Help Save The Monarchs and Other Pollinators for Earth Day!
- Will Ferrell, Star of Anchorman 2, Wows the Crowd on St. Simons Island
- Claim-to-Fame: The Tree Spirits of St. Simons Island
- Go Green: Celebrate St. Patrick’s Day the Savannah Way!